Diagnosis of snoring

If you or anyone you live with is concerned about you snoring or having sleep apnoea, talk to your GP about it. He or she will ask about your symptoms and examine you. Your GP may also ask you about your medical history. It's often useful if your partner attends the appointment as they can describe the pattern and duration of the snoring.
Depending on what your GP thinks is causing your snoring, he or she will give you advice on what to do. If this doesn't help, he or she may refer you to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist or recommend that you see a dentist (see Treatment).
If your GP thinks you have sleep apnoea you might be referred to a specialist at a sleep clinic. These are centres where you are monitored while you sleep, to help diagnose sleep apnoea.

Treatment of snoring


There are several ways you can control your snoring.

  • If you're overweight, make changes to your lifestyle so that you can lose some weight. This means eating a healthy balanced diet and doing more exercise.

  • Don't drink alcohol before you go to bed.

  • Stop smoking. Your GP can give you advice on this.

  • Change your sleeping position. When you lie flat on your back, your tongue is more likely to fall back into your throat and block your airway. By sleeping on your side, or by having your head and shoulders slightly tilted upwards, you're less likely to snore.


Return to top


appointment appointment

next previous